Friday, April 1, 2011

Autism UN-Awareness, disability snobs and Reality Check

Well, here goes nothing.  I am at a point in my life where if I do not do something just to get it out of my head, I am going to punch someone and pretty damn hard!  So, I am going to give random thoughts tonight about things/thoughts tha thave been building and I need to talk about......

Note:  I do not need sympathy or empathy....I am HAPPY....tired, exhausted, stressed, and anxious, but Happy and Blessed!

So, the whole autism thing.  I am a passionate man about my son with autism and about working with literally hundreds of people with autism.  It seems to me this year that Autism Awareness is the new fad and the new trand to be "aware" about.  However, are people really aware?  Not so sure.......

See...now here is where my ADHD brain kicks in and I switch topics becasue I jsut thought of it :)

Now a piece that really gets under my skin....... DISABILITY SNOBS!  These are the parents that usually have children that typically are higher functioning and can look as a neuro typical kiddo from afar before a conversastion begins!!!  Well, today I have read and ran into a few people that really need to do a reality check....

Today I heard a person say, " no I never knew any of them (referring to people with autism) but I gre up with "retarded" kids in school............Dear Lord!  Really?  Really?

I also read about someone whining about how her kid is in the lowest reading group and is he going to be able to be in something like AP classes or whatever.  Well, helloooooo, reality check!!!  What I would not give to have my son shower by himself, not have an accident in a store becasue he could not physically unbutton his pants, or fall down and have a seizure while losing bladder and bowel control.  To even to be able to utter ONE word!!!!!

Now, if you're reading this you know Nick.  He is by far one of the most interesting and fantastic people I know.  This young man has taught me more than any other human being or text book could ever do or teach. 

Yes we have been looked at by those disability snobs and ovehear is my child going to be in "his" group.   Sorry, we don't worry about if we wll ever get into Pre-Cal over here...we worry about what are our next steps to faciltiate Nick in becoming the contributing member of society that he WILL be. 

TOPIC CHANGE:

My Bubba ...Ethan.  All this still is a little unreal!  Really, a week from today I will be sitting in ICU.  It did not hit me how serious this is and thought oh this is not happening he will be fine.  Until I made the caring bridge website.  Hey, these websites are for the severe sick and surgeries....oh, wait, this is serious.  Yes, I am a planner, and do not like surprises.  SO, for about a week now I watch these brain surgeries on web sites and prep for how he will look after.....I ask myself over and over!?!?  Will the halo be off, how swollen will he be......can I really sit for 6 hours and WAIT .  For those who know me, it is EXTREMELY difficult for me to sit stil lfor 6 seconds:"  Will this get him off the pump, will he stop choking, will he eat and drink?  Hundreds and hundreds of questions and I know I do not have the answers...........

SWTICH AGAIN......to my Princess Kiki

Jackie and I want to pull our hair out, scream, and lvoe and kiss her all at the same time.  How much slack do we cut?  What is it like for a 4 year old trying to learn how to "be"  when at home your 2 siblings have significant disabilites.  I sit and cry wanting the best vor her and tyr to figure out how to manage some time, any time even a second that we can focus soley on her and not worry about what doctor, attendant, home health agency and/or medication is present leacking or nonexistent.....  Will she ever know, that despite meeting the needs of Nick and Ethan continuosuly that she is jsut as loved, special and important  to us.  I feel like a failed father.  She dies to have people over and we can't....with therapists and sicknesses and everything else and no time......

Change.........

How do you fit it all in?  How do you be a better father and husband.  I work about 80 hours a week.  This would be fine except my wife works full time as well.  Our first thoughts are what bills ae coming in, and what do we have to pay off........  it's sad becasue  I knoe what I should be doing. I should be playing at the park with Kiki, eating a family dinner riding the DART with Nick to his favorite restaurant......


MEET OUR EXTENDED FAMILY:

Besides our immediate family, these ar ethe people we talk to on a regular basis:
Epic Med Staff, Precious Care, Medo Medical Supply, R-Tech Medical Supply, Berry Family Services, Dallas MetroCare, MDCP, CCP, Dr. Swift, Dr. Sparagana. Dr. Lin, Dr. Carol, Dr. Renard, Dr. Gottlieb.....


Oh I pray....I pray all the time.  I need patience,  I need wisdom, I need strength,,,,,,


One thing I do know.  I have been given a gift.  A gift I never thought I would have wanted or been able to do,  Besides faith, family and friends....working with individuals with disabilities......  The Lord has blessed me with this,,,,the patience, the wisdom and the strength.......

Myr profession makes me a better FATHER and my family makes me a better EDUCATOR! 

A reason fo everything....wow I hate this saying.....but God, it is so true.....

What's killing me is my lack of control of the situation the small and the big.......

So, as I sit here while one son is upstairs stimming and one lays here hooked up to a feeding pump I think.........I know.....I am BLESSED.  Just breathe......

I may not be PC in my post, I am very random and since I can not burden my wife with my stresses and she is asleep anyway, you get to read them...


So , no I'm sorrys or no hang in there.....This is my sounding board....and thanks for coming along for the ride!

4 comments:

  1. Hang in there, Josh! Easy for me to say, huh? All I can say is that I think all 3 of your kids are so lucky you are their dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a way to get the ramblings/ pestering thoughts out in virtual world. Hopefully cathartic! We pray for you and your family often and oh the stars in your crown my darling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Breathe in hope. Breathe out love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Breathe in hope. Breathe out love.

    ReplyDelete